Data is everywhere and the modern world runs on data. For most kinds of data communications, different end users can communicate with each other through the assistance of some servers that mediate the process. However, this can cause increased response times, lapse in data security, and additional server costs. Moreover, if the server is down for some reason, entire data communication comes to halt. With peer-to-peer communication, you can eliminate the need of an intermediate server to communicate and exchange data with each other directly. For cross-platform communications using web browsers, one such technology is WebRTC.
For real-time media communications like voice, video and data transfer natively between browsers and devices, WebRTC is the only protocol available and most brands are adopting the technology to build applications that enable communications between different device types.
What is WebRTC?
WebRTC application development is an API-based Communication between mobile applications and web browsers developed by Google in May 2011. It is standardized jointly by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) and the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and allows developers to create basic web apps that use the camera or microphone, or more advanced video-calling and screen sharing applications.
Some of the popular applications and platforms using WebRTC are:
- Google Meet and Google Hangouts
- Facebook Messenger
- Zoom meeting
How does WebRTC work?
The WebRTC technology is made up three major components:
Media Capture and Stream
Media Capture and Stream, fetched using the getUserMedia function, allows the developers to access the digital cameras, webcams, microphones, or shared desktops from a peer’s device.
Peer Connection, accessed by creating an RTCPeerConnection object, is used to establish a WebRTC connection between two or more peers. All WebRTC interactions can only begin by establishing this connection between the participating peers. RTCPeerConnection handles audio and video transmissions, encryption, and bandwidth configuration
Data Channel, accessed by creating an RTCDataChannel object, initiates data transfer between two peers to exchange arbitrary data, such as files, with one another.
How can WebRTC benefit your Business Growth?
In the next five years, as published in the reports by PRNewswire, the global WebRTC market is expected to grow at a rate of 46%. During the recent pandemic, the entire world was forced to work from home whenever applicable. At such moments, the benefits of working remotely were discovered and this trend led to wide scale adoption of WebRTC applications. With real-time communication, you give your customer three major abilities:
- Power to interact
- Power to communicate
- Power to collaborate
When you use WebRTC to develop applications and devices that solve your customers’ needs in a unique way, you create a monopoly. Here are some of the examples where WebRTC can help certain businesses flourish:
- Home furnishings: Using virtual assistants such as Alexa, Google, Siri, and Cortana, people are turning their house into smart homes with devices talking with each other and turning on or off based on the voice commands. For a home appliance brand, having IoT enabled devices and keeping the data communication between them secure, it is worthwhile to invest in WebRTC.
- Healthcare: In cases where the patient cannot be physically brought for a doctor’s appointment or when consulting a doctor overseas, organizing a video call is a viable option. The end-to-end encryption ensures the conversation remains secure between the patient and the doctor.
- Delivery: As more and more brands are considering adding drones in their delivery fleet, they need to make sure the video feed from the drone remains uninterrupted and secure. WebRTC is a great option to ensure both criterias.
- Heavy industries: In factories and industries, repair and maintenance of heavy machinery may sometimes require the technician to travel frequently. Using the video call technology powered with WebRTC, equipment troubleshooting or machine supervision can be managed virtually.
- Education: Teachers and educators can easily conduct online classes and disseminate notes and study materials easily using the WebRTC technology.
- Event managers: By organizing virtual festivals and celebrity events and live streaming it, you can increase ticket revenues while eliminating geographical borders. WebRTC can allow fans to watch their idols live from the comforts of their home and celebrities can conduct meet-and-greet programs easily.
How can Vindaloo Softtech be “Your Destined Technology Partner”?
Vindaloo Softtech Pvt. Ltd. has been creating unique VoIP and other real-time communication solutions for our customers. Our devoted team equipped with Global expertise gets the client’s work completed in a completely transparent process. We offer the following WebRTC services:
- WebRTC Client Solution
- Peer to Peer calling solution
- Web phone
- Web Conferencing solution
- Webcasting solution
Get in touch with our experts if you require any assistance related to WebRTC services or looking for a custom WebRTC application development.
Sandip Patel – BDE
Author works as BDE at Vindaloo Softtech (VSPL) since 2016. Sandip has 10+ years of work experience in VoIP Software Development Industry. VSPL is VoIP software development and solutions provider that offers FreeSWITCH, Kamailio, OpenSIP, WebRTC and Asterisk Development.